Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Thursday, August 24, 2006

alone and musical

Okay, you have to know that I'm the only musical one in my family. Seriously. My acting debut came in 2nd grade with a class play at Thanksgiving about some kids and a magical scarecrow; I was the scarecrow. But those ended witht the progression to 3rd grade, so I started singing for my school's "church" choir. Okay it wasn't a choir; we had liturgical music class, and people had to volunteer to sing at Mass. That was as far as my singing career went for a few years. I learned the extreme basics of music in music class and actively sang in that and loved the class. I picked up handbell choir in 5th grade and really started to learn how to read music through that. Finally the music department started an actual choir and I did that in 6th grade. Thank the lord my mom found auditions for the St. Louis Symphony Children's Choir and talked me into trying out. I made it directly to the second level, Chorale. Pretty good for someone who never took singing seriously.I dropped chorus at school and dedicated my time to SLSCC. Alright that's enough for now (I don't want to bore you..) so stay tuned for more on my life as a musician!

6 Comments:

At 8/26/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I feel like I learned a lot when I was in ensembles as a child. I sometimes wonder if the same applies to music as with other disciplines, like languages, when it comes to the retention children hold. For example, are youth who start music early more likely to continue throughout their life, or at least through high school? I didn't start singing seriously until I was about thirteen, but I think my experience with violin gave me the confidence to venture forth into new instruments. What do you think?

 
At 8/26/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

That's pretty sweet that you made it to the second level right away in that choir, whatever that means. Mo, I will stay tuned for your life as a musician.

 
At 8/26/2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Nat said...

AWWW I heart you! I was thinking about it and I was wondering...do think it is better to be from a musical background and kind of not forced into music, but gently shoved or to make the decision completely on your own and possibly not have the support that you would from a musical family? It was just something I was considering? You've got to love choir. I would love to know the progress from singing in a choir to going solo...fill me in as soon as possible. :)

 
At 8/27/2006 12:11 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It is really cool that you are in a handbell choir too! I know we've talked about it but I never really said that. I'm in one and people always tend to give me a weird look when I say "I play handbells."

 
At 8/27/2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Renee said...

Ok, so I'm right there with Gnat. Being a musician if and when I have children I would really want them to pick up music. But what happens if I'm to forecful and they hate it?... Renee would shatter! I need some kind of chip to implant in their tiny little heads!

 
At 8/27/2006 11:50 AM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

I was also in church chior and handbells. That's what all the cool kids did.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home