Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Grrr to Emily and Kit Kat

Alrighty then! So, I was going to save the best for last but Emily and Katherine are taking to dang long. My musical journey, eh? Well, back when I was a kid ... it was common for a famous musicians or two to play at the mall by my house. I believe it was about 4th grade when I was walking through the mall and heard a beautiful noise. Who was it you ask? No one but Kenny G himself. I was convinced, I needed to become a G myself and play that sax!

Sax? You may be asking, "Whaa, she plays trumpet!" Well, haha I fooled you all! Today you will hear me play a beautiful sax solo! Fooled you again! I will really being playing trumpet. Bow and arrow! Random, I know.

It was later that week we had "instrument tryouts" for our 5th grade band. I knew as soon as I got there I was going to be bringing home the instrument that would lead me to Kenny G's success! Oh buddy was I wrong! Turns out, I couldn't even get a noise out of the darn thing. That's when I decided to test out the trumpet.

Band teacher # 1 - Mr. Rope - Mills Lawn Elementary School
Mills Lawn was a very small school. It was your decision to play in either the orchestra or band. But, either way you were guaranteed to be the only one in your section. Therefore, you were pushed to learn your part inside out. This was fine and dandy, I loved it! But then after an incident in art.... my art teacher tore up my self portriat and told me it was horrible haha... my mom transfered me to another school.

Band teacher # 2 - Mr. String - Indian Valley Middle School
Indian Valley was a drastic change for me. There were 4 different 5th grade bands! Each with 10 or more playing trumpet. But, because of such advanced playing at Mills Lawn I was still able to outplay them all! Mwhahaha! Band proved to be nothing special at Indian Valley until Mr. Stigers decided to quit the middle school and teach at only the high school.

Band teacher # 3 - Mr. Bush - Indian Valley Middle School
Mr. B was an awesome guy. My 6th grade band class was amazed by his dreads that reached his back, his gauged ears, and tattoo covered body. But apperance wasn't everything. Mr B was an instrumentalist who was teaching for some extra cash. Thus....

Band teacher # 4 - Mr. Waku - Indian Valley Middle School
Mr. Warner.... hmm. He had a temper. It was often I was sent to the office for questioning his style of teaching. I know I was only 12 but the students just weren't getting his point so I tried to take over. Nevertheless, almost every day I was forced to leave the classroom or be pelted with dry erase markers. Hence the temper. At the end of the year he was fired for throwing staplers, markers, batons, chairs, and other such objects at the students.

Now, I was about to enter my freshman year of high school and I was convinced I had had enough! But, my mom brought to my attention that high school might be different. So I gave it a try.

Alternation # 1 - Back to Mr. String - Greenon High School
Wow! Mom was right! Marching band was so much better! I loved it so much... and for once I wasn't the best in my section. I had a challenge! But, being a depressing story... you know it has to come to an abrupt hault. Marching band season ended and the real Mr String came out! He was lazy and perverted. He would pass out new music and then sit at his desk and say, "Ok, ready play," and that was it! We never rehearsed a piece! Just played straight threw until the concert. Meanwhile, Mr String sat at his desk with the pretty girls on his lap! He was fired at the end of that year.

Alternation # 2 - Guess who's back!?! Mr. Bush!
We were all very exctied to have Mr. B back. Even though we, as a band, weren't progressing whatsoever, we still had fun because Mr B was just an awesome guy. He stayed at Greenon for two years until he got a job teaching college in Hawaii. We don't blame him for leaving.

Band teacher... what is this 5? - Mr. Bloutt - Greenon High School
A fresh graduate of Miami University, OH. Mr. Bloutt seemed to know what he was doing. Our band improved so much over my senior year it was inspiring. Only one problem. Mr. Bloutt must not have gotten the memo - flirting with high school girls is against the law when you're a teacher! Before I graduated, Mr. Bloutt had already been in trouble with the district for having risque pictures of him and students on his computer, taking 2 girls golfing, and for taking another student to his country club for a "one on one dinner."

I have no idea how long Mr. Bloutt will be allowed to continue teaching. Who knows, I might take his place in four years! But regardless, I'm here at DePauw to become a music teacher. It's about time students can be assigned less than five different teachers that have their interest as their number one priority!


Note: Names have indeed been changed! :)

6 Comments:

At 8/27/2006 6:19 PM, Blogger Kitt_Katt said...

I would make this more formal, less conversational.

 
At 8/27/2006 6:32 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Some people just should not be teachers.

 
At 8/27/2006 10:15 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

Well, I chose DePauw over Northwestern and Oberlin because of several things. First, the teachers at Oberlin were awful, screaming at me to hurry up and finish my audition, then paying no attention to me during the sample lesson. Northwestern was to big and the only teachers available were student teachers. And on top of all this, the financial aid was probably the biggest deciding factor.
Now, you've had quite a few band teachers. WTF? Interesting. Now, did you feel that you didn't get all you could have out of them? Or do you think that you could've gotten more from just one teacher?

 
At 8/27/2006 10:33 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

YAY!!! I love the hidden, random shout out to me!!! You are quite the tricky one with that whole Kenny G thing in the beginning...boy did you throw me out for a loop! BOW AND ARROW!

 
At 8/27/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

I really like your organization! This was much different from everyone elses because of your coverage of each band teacher.

Mr String and Mr Bloutt sound pretty Skeezy...

 
At 6/23/2007 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Bloutt must not have gotten the memo? More like you didn't get the memo about the fact that you can't send your own letter of recommendation to DePauw and forge your band director's name and signature. You're right though, made up stories about some teacher are way more important than getting into a school that you didn't deserve acceptance to.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home