Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Debating About Music

First, as in any debate, you need to know the subject. Picking a side, contrary to what many would think, is not necessary. In fact, when we were debating about EMI, I hadn't developed a strong opinion either way based on the facts I had read about the machine. However, I feel I was still able to "put on an act" and fool the other side of our debate that I did, indeed, feel EMI was wrong. Having knowledge about both sides of the arguement will enable you to have better "come backs" and help you support your side when it is attacked. If you do develop an opinion however, state your facts and remember to stay open or at least listen to other opinions. Debating about music is tough, but if you just keep in mind that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you can often learn new things about the subject.

(Sorry this is really short guys, but I still think my points were clear and concise.)

7 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 7:36 PM, Blogger Becca said...

I think you did a good job! In fact, your blog was the one I most agreed with so far (besides my own). You debate music like you'd debate anything else, really. I'm glad you and I concur. =)

 
At 9/10/2006 7:50 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Short and sweet is fine with me. I agree with you completely

 
At 9/10/2006 8:51 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

Nay Nay, way to be short and to the point. You said some of what I wanted to but wasn't sure how!

 
At 9/10/2006 8:54 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Don't apologize for it being short. Sometimes shorter means it is easier for the reader to pay attention and understand.

 
At 9/10/2006 9:07 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

Very direct and to the point... I like that.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I agree with everyone else. Alot of the times its better to be short and get your point across then ramble like I tend to. :)

 
At 9/10/2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

Well, true, you don't HAVE to take a side, but I do feel that it is certainly helpful, because then you get more accomplished.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home