Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Debating gets me so angry, that I think I'm going to hurt myself

I believe that music is hard to debate about, but not impossible. In the EMI debate, what was more evident than anything, was that no one was going to listen to any one elses point. Granted that is hard to do when trying to make your own. In any debate, all points should be considered valid. As I am stepping off the soapbox, I will begin how I debate music.
Music can only be debated on one front: if you like the music. For example, I can't argue why I think a D written by Mozart is better than a D written by Bach. Although I can say that I enjoyed the notes written be Mozart better than the ones by Bach. Also I can't bring the hard-hitting facts to why I like Ben Folds tremendously and why I never really got into Billy Joel. Point being I just like somethings better than others.
So in my humble opinion, you can talk about facts, styles, time periods, experiences and anything alse you want to prove to me which is better, but you cannot change the fact that I like some things more than others. In fact, I would rather you just hold your breath and wait to tell me that I look nice today.

5 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 9:05 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

splendid andrew, short and to the point. you look wonderful.

 
At 9/10/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Refering to the soapbox, I think one thing that was hard about this topic was that we are all guilty of taking part in "discussions" that are exactly the opposite of how we wrote debates should be.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I agree. But I think that when we debate EMI it was easier because we were debating something that dealt more with technology than with music. Also, your title made me laugh.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:38 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

andrew, i love it. just so that you know, bach sounds better than mozart. anywho, the EMI debate was a headache. it drove me crazy as well. and billy joel is awesome. but since you're a guy, i can understand your lack of interest. i love your last sentence.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:57 PM, Blogger Dennis Fuller said...

you looked mad sexy today.

i'm totally with you on this on.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home