Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 03, 2006

FOXY SHAZAM!!

A New Side of “Metal”

Foxy Shazam’s “The Flamingo Trigger”

Foxy Shazam is the newest band in the metal world, if you really want to call what they do metal. “The Flamingo Trigger is their first and only full length album to this date. This band is labeled as metal but generally has made up its own genre of music. To describe it best I can, I’ll say this album is almost a mockery of metal as we know it.
Lead singer Eric Nally is really who makes this band most unusual. A third of the time he is doing his death metal scream. Another third of the time he is doing his high pitched “boy-going-through-puberty” scream which cracks and squeaks but in an oddly satisfying way. When he’s not screaming in any way, shape, or form, he is talking. However, he talks with the same excited, cracking, and squeaking voice that he usually screams with.
Apart from Nally’s weirdness there is also the point of the odd lyrics themselves. For example, in “No, Don’t Shoot!” half the lyrics aren’t even real words. The best way to describe what he is saying in the chorus is “Dija bija dija bija dija boodah. Dija boooodah dija boojahhh. No, don't shoot!” Seriously, I’m not joking. Listen to it and see for yourself. Other songs such as “My Wife’s Juice and Water Tower Wine” have actual words in the lyrics, yet they are fairly childish and meaningless as well. The first verse in this song says, “Someone call the cops and tell them to come and stop me. Someone call the nurse because my tummy kinda hurts. Someone call the fire department cause my pussy cat's stuck in the tree and I'm afraid of heights.” And then again, there are other songs, with real words, that mean something to the musician such as in “The French Passion of Animality Opera” Nally says, “That concentrated gaze you gave my eyes, I've never looked this deep into myself before and I'm pretty sure that I'm only human, then again I could be wrong.”
Eric Nally is not the only person in the band that makes it interesting. Besides the guitarist who plays the fairly normal distorted metal chords, and the bassist who plays your fairly average bass lines, and the drummer who keeps up with Nally’s constant rhythm changes, there is another band member that makes this band sound out of the ordinary and quite spiffy. Keyboardist Sky White is not your average junky that the singer of a band grabbed off a street corner and said to him, “Just play these two notes and you’ll be fine.” White has obviously had quite a bit of experience in playing the piano. His runs are better than average. His best runs are in “The French Passion of Animality Opera,” “October Surf Suitcase Fish,” and “Seagulls Over Rhinosouras Bay Part II” which is actually a full feature of his keyboarding skills.
This band is so unique that it is a slap in the face to listen to them for the first time. I promise you that if you listen to Foxy Shazam, Nally will draw you in and hook you with his boyish scream and fun personality. I think everyone should give them a chance and take a listen.

4 Comments:

At 9/03/2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Dennis Fuller said...

i think i'm going to waste more money on-line now.

 
At 9/03/2006 11:30 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I really liked your description of the band. It makes them sound like one of a kind and it makes me want to listen to them just because they are so unique.

 
At 9/03/2006 11:40 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

Keyboardist Sky White is not your average junky that the singer of a band grabbed off a street corner and said to him, “Just play these two notes and you’ll be fine.” White has obviously had quite a bit of experience in playing the piano


Wonderful sentence!!!! haha.
I like that I can hear you talking as I read your journal. Like emily rose, I also really want to see what this band is all about now. Your choice of lyrics to present was also effective.

 
At 1/24/2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Alex said...

Yeah I saw this band a while back and bought the CD. Everything you said is pretty much true and if you think they're wild on record try seeing them on stage. Nally did not face the audience throughout the whole set, I had never seen anything like it before.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home