Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Great Debate...

Okay, at first I had no idea how to approach this blog because debating about music is so vague and weird. But then it hit me: that's what makes music so great-it touches each person in a unique way, whether love or hate for it.

So, if I were to debate about music the way I would about say, drug testing in high schools (and I only use that example because I did have to debate about it in high school), first and foremost would come research. For music, I could study how various artists perform a certain piece and compare and contrast the performance with the score. And then there's what the editor put in and what the composer originally wanted. Here's where it gets weird-you can't really use this research; well to a certain extent. Music touches each artist differently and it's up to the to express how the music flows through them. A vocalist must take a piece and try to figure out the composer's intent with it while mixing in his or her own interpretation. No performance is right or wrong, each one is just different.

For my debate with drug testing, I also had to look at both sides of the arguement in order to make my points stronger and more effective. You can't really do that with music because it is so subjective. What is beauty to one person could be garbage to another. For me, I could never really argue about country or rap because I dislike both and don't ever listen to either one. I could explain why I don't like the music and someone could tell me why they love it, but I can't argue about it because I can't change what a person likes and dislikes. I could understand why someone likes country, but it won't make me like it. I doesn't have the same meaning for me. There are so many different styles of music that affect people in so many ways that it is hard to debate about it. That's the beauty of music-how people connect with it.

I love that one person can enjoy numerous styles. I'm ecstatic when a friend introduces me to an artist I've never heard before. It's great when someone loves the same music I do, but I can't be offended if someone doesn't. If everyone liked the same thing, that would be pretty boring. Music is all about how it makes you feel as an indivdual and music is meant to be open to interpretation-it's the only way one can really express how the music truly affects them.

So when I debate about music, I bring my side to the table and hope that even if the other party doesn't agree with me, they will at least see where I'm coming from and respect me for it. And I think everyone shoud do the same. After all, people's different opinions is what makes life so interesting. = )

9 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 3:17 PM, Blogger Nat said...

So, my response to this is basically you think that you can't really debate music, but you can pretty much just discuss it and discuss different styles? Or am I completely off track of what you were trying to convey?

 
At 9/10/2006 5:47 PM, Blogger Kitt_Katt said...

You are saying that you have deated music, but that debating music isn't possible?

 
At 9/10/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Becca said...

You didn't touch on the importance of the question. You can't debate a topic, you have to debate a specific question about a topic.

Also, you said you hate rap and country and don't listen to them... and then you said you love to be introduced to new music. Isn't that a tad hypocritical?

 
At 9/10/2006 7:46 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

The subject is very vague, just like the EMI debate, so i agree with this blog just as much as anyone elses.

 
At 9/10/2006 7:54 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Kat, the comments are supposed to be constructive criticism, you didn't say anything about the music.

 
At 9/10/2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

I liked how you approached this very weird topic by comparing it to another kind of debate.

 
At 9/10/2006 8:58 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

Nat, you are right on target. You can't really debate music, just dicuss it.

Becca, I'm not being hypocritical. I love when people are excited to have me listen to their favorite artist. Even if I don't like it, it's awesome that people can love music the way I do, even if it is country. And I did answer the question-the way I see it. Not everything has to be debatable.

 
At 9/10/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

I for one don't think it's hypocritical in the least bit. If you've already listened to those genres (rap and country) and you've decided what you don't like to listen to, then technically it's not new music, so it's not hypocritical. BTW, the question, I believe, was how do you debate music, not how do you debate a certain question about music. Boom. Fo shizzle. I really have to stop using that phrase, but I don't want to.

 
At 9/10/2006 11:23 PM, Blogger Renee said...

If you do a yahoo search on the word debate... you will find American Heritage defines it as considering, discussing, deliberating, or making an argument out of a topic.
So even if Momomomomos friend lets her listen to their music and both Momomomomo and her friend state their opinion about the music... it would be considered a debate. Music is indeed debatable!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home