Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Never to be Forgotten

Heaven trembles with her cry
And Hell is transfixed in her wake
As a single, solemn note
Reverberates from deep within
A tear runs down my cheek
And slides down her curved body
A heartrending, deliberate melody
The song of my misery
As she sings, I drift
The world in which I lie now
Is beyond physical, beyond reality
Beyond thinking… it is
Feeling, emotion
It is
Captivity
It hurts so much
Yet she is the only way to convey
My heart and soul
With flames bright
Creating that perfect light
That I can swallow
In place of the pained lump in my throat
There is no stopping this…
With her in my hands
Heaven trembles with my cry
And Hell is transfixed in my wake
As a single, solemn note
Reverberates from deep within
Tears pour from her many cavities
And slide down my collapsing body



To anyone who reads this... my aunt was diagnosed with cancer earlier this summer. Today, a happy day, the day of our first orchestra concert, the hospital called my dad an hour before the concert and told him that he needed to be there. At this moment she is still alive. She's not breathing well and she has been put on a respirator. The doctors say she could live, that they've seen wilder miracles, but she's fighting a losing battle. I'm sorry if my poem is depressing. I wrote it for her. If any of you are religious, please pray for her. She needs all the help she can get.

7 Comments:

At 9/24/2006 8:51 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Aww Alex I'm sorry. My mom had cancer awhile back, but they caught it early so she made it. I will pray for her.

As to the poem, it was really deep and I could tell it came from the heart.

 
At 9/24/2006 9:02 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

Yeah, my mom also had cancer, and it was horrifying. Your poem is great, and i'll pray for your aunt.

 
At 9/24/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Oh, Alex! *hugs*

Your emotional state is very present in this piece. It's gorgeous, and I can sense your need of music to heal and console you even as it keeps the wounds fresh. You're in my prayers.

 
At 9/24/2006 9:26 PM, Blogger Dennis Fuller said...

i saw you crying during the shostakovich, and i cried too

;(

great heart felt post <3

 
At 9/24/2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Nat said...

That was beautiful. I don't even know how to respond to that. She is in my prayers.

 
At 9/24/2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I really like your poem. Your word usage is really effective. Also, it is far from over the top, or too serious, I think the tone is very appropriate.

 
At 9/24/2006 10:49 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

Also, once again I'm really sorry about your aunt. I'm sure your parents and family are really sorry about missing the concert, and I'm sure they are really looking forward to seeing the recording.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home