Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Autobiography NUMBA 3 YO: Ideas

As of right now, I can't find anything to add to my musical autobiography, at least nothing that fits in with my story. I kind of like the way it is now as well. So I'm not going to edit anything I have down already. For this blog, I'm going to write a few paragraphs that will probably have nothing to do with each other. They are ideas or notes that I might like to include in my final autobiography. I'm not going to add them yet however, because I want all of your imput on what would and what wouldn't be a good idea to include.

A few years ago, I discovered music. Yes I have been playing music since the second grade, but I had never actually realized what feelings can be triggered by music. Certain events in my life created a special place within myself for music. Since then, nothing else can release those unique thoughts and feelings. Sometimes when I listen to music, I feel this physical feeling that is quite indescribable. It is a high; one of ecstacy and pure delight that makes every nerve in my body tingle and my stomach flutters with enjoyment. When these feelings came about, I realized that music had to be the most important thing in the world.

I was talking to someone the other day about music and how it makes me feel. I told her about that wonderful sensation I get all over my body when I listen to Pink Floyd or Dvorak's New World Symphony. I asked her if she ever felt that way and she looked at me as if I was crazy and said, "I've never felt anything like that when I listen to music." I was stunned. I had nothing left to say to her and I left. How can anyone go through life happily and call their life complete without ever feeling music?

When I was little I used to go sit in my grandma's living room and listen to one of her many music boxes. It was always the same one. It played the theme from the musical Cats. I don't know why I liked it so much, but I could sit and listen and watch those cats go round and round forever. Even from a young age I showed signs of becoming a lover of music.

Link to FIRST DRAFT
Link to SECOND DRAFT

5 Comments:

At 10/01/2006 9:09 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

I really like this actually, because I know how you feel. I had a really tough time my freshman year of high school and that's when I discovered truly feeling music. And, I have two music boxes that belonged to my grandmother that I could listen to forever = )

 
At 10/01/2006 11:05 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

I like reading about your life stories, i like the second one the most!! You should use it in your autobiography.

 
At 10/01/2006 11:28 PM, Blogger Becca said...

I liked this! The stories are truthful, and you tell them sincerely. If you can, fit them into your first drafts.

 
At 10/01/2006 11:38 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

thanks for your guys' imput. i'm not sure if i'm going to use all 3 of them or not yet. but i might. i might add some other things as i think of them. and mo, i think alot of people discovered that feeling at some point in time in their lives and i think that's why most of us are here.

 
At 10/01/2006 11:54 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

New World Symphony is pretty much my most favorite classical piece ever. For me it seems to have so much excitement that nothing else has.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home