Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hmm... Should I talk about Blue Man Group?

A couple of years ago my parents bought my brother and I tickets to go see Blue Man Group perform live at the local concert center. We were way psyched to attend one of our first concerts ever! I personally, hadn't heard any of their cds but had seen clips of their acts on the Tom Green Show, late at night. My brother, on the other hand, listened to the Blue Man Group regularly.

As we sat in our seats waiting for the show to start we made casual conversation with the people in front of us. They had traveled from Vegas to see the tour again. They said it was the best concert they had ever seen. We were now very anxious to see this show. Finally, the group came out and began their set.

The point in me telling you about my Blue Man Group concert expierence is to express what I valued in that show. First, is was very audience involved. Members of the audience were often taken from their seats and asked to perform a simple task on stage, such as beating a bass drum. In one of the songs, "What is Rock?" the audience is asked to do simple movements such as jump up and down, yell, fist pump, ect. The entire audience was laughing and getting involved... a very interesting concert it prooved to be!

The other thing I enjoyed about the live show was how the audience was focused and paying attention to the group and nothing else (as much as possible). The group could express themselves more musically because they were able to take as much time as needed to get a musical idea across. For example, one of the guys hit a bass drum over and over and slowly other parts were added to form a song. But, if you were listening to the exact same thing on your car cd you probably wouldnt listen to a bass drum sounding for five minutes due to distractions.

Sometimes live music sucks, I will admitt. But, I know, when I'm listening to a cd, my mind begins to wonder how it would sound if it were a live performance, and you begin to miss the things you value in a concert.

3 Comments:

At 10/07/2006 8:55 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I saw Blue Man Group in Chicago in seventh grade and it was an amazing concert. I know exactly what you mean. I later listened to the cd that my cousin had bought and the only way i could listen to all of the songs was bringing back my memories of the concert.

 
At 10/08/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Kitt_Katt said...

I love Blue Man Group! The concert they are doing now though doesn't have much music.

 
At 10/08/2006 8:39 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

first i want to say, CONGRATULATIONS! you blogged during the week, when we're supposed to do it. the only thing i kind of disagree with is that live music sucks. even with a crappy performance, i feel that it's better being there than if you're not there at all.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home