Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 22, 2006

I don't read...so yeah

I have huge vision problems so reading is very hard for me. So I don't do it much. But here goes. Musicianship is such a hard textbook to write. How do you teach someone to use their ears in that manner? I think that the text is very good because it asks for rhythm and pitches and both as well as melody and harmony. I do think that it goes too fast though. It went from simple melodies to more complex harmonies and rhythms in just a few lessons.
My only other textnook is the theory text and I think it is pretty good. Sometimes it doesn't explain topics fully but Dr. Carrillo explains those points in class. I don't use the text much because I know all of these things so far, but I'm sure it will come in handy eventually.

5 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 8:09 PM, Blogger Nat said...

That was short. Were you on your way out the door to come back?

 
At 10/22/2006 8:17 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I agree. The musicianship book does go waaaaaay to fast.

 
At 10/22/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

I dont think the musicianship book goes too awfully fast, maybe a little though, and yes, i agree with you on the theory book.. it will get harder.

 
At 10/22/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

Yeah, musicianship does like to speed up for no reason-not cool.

 
At 10/22/2006 11:51 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

i t0tally agree with y0u, the musicianship text g0es WAY t0 fast! it's hard en0ugh t0 teach a pers0n t0 teach s0me0ne t0 "use their ears" as y0u said, but t0 teach it s0 quickly... it's ludacris! i pers0nally am n0t t0 f0nd 0f that subject. it g0es way t0 fast f0r me.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home