Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Page by page

I like to take some time out of my fall break to talk about what I like most...textbooks. Believe it or not this is more entertaining to me right now than having to go through the same questions with my parents about DePauw. Anyway, my psychology book starts each chapter with a story about whatever psyhcological phenomenon will be discussed. I like this notion because I know that I might not read the entire chapter, but it did grasp my attention long enough for me to learn how the subject affects real people. This primes me to want to understand the neurological causes of these processes. If not for that I would not be able to get past page one. Let's be honest, without real examples its just a bunch of scientific words that I don't care about.
As for the my theory book, oh my God. I mean all it has are words that can't tell a story. This is not through any fault of the writer or the reader, it is impossible to explain with words how music works. You have to hear the notes, then the words make sense. I thinks the book does a great job of explaining as best it can. With a science book words will do just fine, but it is a different story with music. I guess that is why the book says we should do our work at a keyboard. Basically it boils down to this, just in case I gave anyone the wrong idea, I like our books.

10 Comments:

At 10/21/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

That's an awful title, I know. So sue me.

 
At 10/21/2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Before I even read this I knew it was yours because of the stupid title. Good point about the not being able to explain music with words, but isn't that the point of this seminar? Your psych book sounds interesting. Books need to grab your attention and keep it.

 
At 10/21/2006 6:41 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

I like how you like our textbooks more than answering DePauw questions lol. Your psych book does sound interesting. My french book just has random stories in it that don't help whatsoever.

 
At 10/22/2006 12:30 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

andrew, i think your title is cute. i haven't written my blog yet and i'm reading yours in hopes of getting my own opinion. unfortunately, i still don't have one after reading yours. and i don't really think i like your opinion, but that's just my opinion. but then again, i'm really not sure yet. by the way, you got your point across nicely.

 
At 10/22/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Hey Andrew... I used to have a psych book that started each chapter with a story... hehe i love stories... at least you're interested for the first couple pages!

 
At 10/22/2006 6:51 PM, Blogger Kitt_Katt said...

You wanted to take time out of your break to talk about text books? Crazy!

 
At 10/22/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Great. This just makes me dread psychology more.

 
At 10/22/2006 9:09 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

good analysis, it is super hard to explain music

 
At 10/22/2006 10:03 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I think it's really important to have a good introduction in a textbook chapter because other wise you do become completely lost.

 
At 10/22/2006 10:12 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

I don't think the theory textbook is meant to "explain" music the way you seem to think. Otherwise it would be awkwardly trying to explain emotions etc.

The book is about explaining the mathematical parts of music- chords, inversions, intervals, progressions, etc. These are undeniably mathematical parts about music- and math can be taught...unless it's past calculus, then I can't really ever learn it...but that's besides the point..

I always like the way you write your entries- I can practically hear you talking "I'd like to take some tim eout of my fall break to talk about what I like most....textbooks." chortle...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home