Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Valuing Live Music

Why do I love live concerts? Well, part of it is seeing the performers feel the music. You can see how the music makes them move and sway.
If the performer is playing violin or viola, I love to watch the bow arm, the left hand, and how the player holds the instrument. I am able to learn from how they play. I can incorperate the technique and style of the performer into my own playing.
I also feel more connected to the music when you see it live. You can feel the vibrations in your seat. Watch the faces of the performers. See the movements of the conductor. There is much more to music than just hearing. There are sights, feels, smells, tastes, and emotions. There are things that cannot be found in a recording.

8 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 8:04 PM, Blogger iheart-t-ravs said...

I like how you brought in the aspect of learning technique from watching a performer.

 
At 10/08/2006 8:35 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

hello miss Kitt Katt... I feel the same way about live performances as you do. you can feel more in concerts. you have a couple of incomplete sentences in your 2nd paragraph, if that means anything. just dandy, hun, just dandy.

 
At 10/08/2006 8:39 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I agree with all of the points you made. However, could you elaborate a little more?

 
At 10/08/2006 8:53 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

smells are very important.. but definately not as important as tastes. I love licking music. jk, i got your point, good post.

 
At 10/08/2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I love how you acknowledge that music is about using all of your senses to absorb it. Short and sweet.

 
At 10/08/2006 11:32 PM, Blogger Renee said...

i love the smell of bagpipes... unfortunately i know the smell comes from the nasty crap we pulled out of yours.. but the smell still arouses my love for music... weird, i know

 
At 10/09/2006 12:08 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Good work, but i disagree, I think that the same emotions can be found in recording sometimes even more-so sometimes.

 
At 10/09/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

sometimes live performances can be more distracting (not to bash your entry- i totally get and agree with what you are saying).

Coughing during rests etc. can be so annoying-- but yes, that is an annoyance I think we are all willing to take for the other advantages of performances.

I think we just need a happy balance between live performance and study of perfect recordings.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home