Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 08, 2006

what DO i value in music?

What someone values in music totally pertains to the individual. It's just like what people consider good and bad music. Everyone is attracted to different aspects of music. With that being said, I will try to explain what I value.
I love live performances; I try to go to as many as possible. There's something about the energy of the audience and actually being surrounded by the music that just amazes me. I went to the Lotus Festival-it was AWESOME. I saw Les Yeux Noir and although their performanced rocked, I couldn't help but wonder if I would feel the same way abot them if I'd heard their CD first. Yes the artists are talented, but so much of their playing came from the crowds' energy. I would not have gotten the same experience from a recording for sure.
Onto a different concert experience-the Chamber Singers. They were amazing. I love choral music and hearing the chords lock and fill the room. Hearing the different parts come together to create gorgeous harmonies is incredible. Okay now switch to a rock concert, one of my favorites. Seeing the artist overtaken with the music gets me into the music. Now if the band isn't good live, then that's a different situation. I really value an artist's ability to perform live. Yes they are some groups that aren't good live but I still enjoy their CDs, but I really prefer live to recorded.
Okay, so I guess I'm saying I realy value the live music experience. The life and intensity the performer brings, the feedback and energy of the audience. The way it makes me feel to be enveloped by harmonies. Even though I prefer live, I'll take the recordings to keep me going in between concerts.

6 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 6:31 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I feel the same way about Les Yeux Noir. I knew that if I would have bought the CD I would never listen to it.

 
At 10/08/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

yeah, bad live music sucks.. it totally changes your view on a band. but good live music really rocks

 
At 10/08/2006 7:48 PM, Blogger Kitt_Katt said...

I love seeing how people are affected by music too.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:11 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

I disagree about Les Yeux Noirs. I loved them, and I'm still listening to their albums that I bought while I was there.

 
At 10/08/2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I think you and I might have started our blog the exact same way. lol

 
At 10/09/2006 12:11 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Good point about CDs getting you through until live performance.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home