Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 08, 2006

What do I value in music?

I feel that live performances are better than any other way of listening to music. One experience sticks out in my mind more than almost any other in my life. A couple of years ago, I went to see A Perfect Circle at Louisville Gardens in (of course) Louisville, Kentucky. It was, for lack of a better word, amazing. It was SENSATIONAL, SPIRITUAL, AND SENSUAL. Even now when I listen to their CDs, I get that crazed butterfly-fluttery feeling in my stomach and goosebumps and my head floats to the clouds. I remember the way Maynard moved to his music. The way his back arched when he hit an intense note. I remember their beautiful violin player and how she got down on her knees and played her violin like it was her other half, how she bent back until her head touched the ground by her feet and still played beautifully. It was sexual, it was purely emotional. That concert was a natural high and I feel it every time I listen to them. So what do I value in live music? Let me just say this, before I saw that concert, I didn’t feel that way when I listened to them.

4 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

Your language is really pretty, and I like how you described the violin and the pakyers actions. Concerts are an all around experience, and that makes them awesome.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:35 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I love the 3 words you used to describe the experience. They really provoke feeling.

 
At 10/09/2006 12:00 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

I like the erotic post. Yeah I glad you brought the emotional and sensual sides to music

 
At 10/09/2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

yea, you have beautiful word choice. I particularly like how you use "I remember " twice, and the images of the violin player bending her head back. I was brought there through your language.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home