Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Yay for textbooks!

Alright, as Becca said everyone will be writing about our theory books, so here's my opinion of it. I like our theory books. And yes, Natalie, I did know about the examples and answers in the back of the book. That's why I like our book so much. And as Andrew said, it is difficult to explain music with words, but I think our text does a good job. Between the book's explanation and what Dr. Carrillo says in class, I can understand the chapter pretty well. I really like the examples in the book because since I'm a very visual learner. I use the examples all the time when I'm doing the workbook assignments.
Okay, onto my French textbook. Every chapter starts of with a hypothetical situation in which you must try to figure out what the correct French answers are based on context. Then there's a listening portion and then a portion on communication. The rest of the chapter is filled with useful charts of vocabulary and verbs, mock conversations, and activities. For the most part, I like my French book, I think it does a good job of using examples and activities to convey the information. Sometimes I wish it wove in the vocabulary a little better, but there's a nice yellow chart at the end of every chapter with all the vocabulary for me to refer to.
Okay, so all in all I like my textbooks, I feel like they are good resources and they really help me to understand the material. So, yay for textbooks!

7 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Nat said...

Is there a way that your French book helps you learn visually as well? Or do you just need the visual aid with the theory?

 
At 10/22/2006 12:36 PM, Blogger Vera Lynn Waters said...

your blog was very smooth and conversational. i like it. it made for a nice short read. by the way, i had no idea there were examples and answers in the back! nobody told me! but thanks to you, and natalie, i know now. thank you.

 
At 10/22/2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Renee said...

yes i didnt know about the examples either! now if only musicianship could give answers in the back... does it? hmmm

 
At 10/22/2006 6:50 PM, Blogger Kitt_Katt said...

Ah...vocab, the text books are never good at that.

 
At 10/22/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Since you're in a entry level French class, is the book completely in French?

 
At 10/22/2006 9:10 PM, Blogger Godfather Outlaw said...

Yes, Carrillo is a major part of me understanding all that crazy theory

 
At 10/22/2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

I did not even know there were such things in the back of the book. You cheater.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home