Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sort of happened, then ended, then started up again

Well, it all happened on a dark and stormy night when I was about five years old. Actually, I don't truly remember what kind of day it was, or what day it was for that matter, but I was actually five. I saw Itzhak Perlman play a solo with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and after that concert I was hooked. I asked my mom, "mother, dearest, will you buy me my very own violin? It would make me ever so happy." And she bowed down to my unbelievable power as a five year old and said "of course, honey. Whatever makes you happy." Actually I'm pretty sure it didn't happen that way, but it was because of Perlman that I started playing the violin. I got my first 1/4 violin two weeks after that and began taking lessons at DePaul University (funny how I ended up at a school for music with only ONE letter difference, huh?) and kept going. My mom was a very musical person back in the day. She played clarinet starting when she lived in Japan, then Arizona, then California, then Oklahoma, then Texas, then so on and so forth until she moved to Chicago. That's when science took over, blah. But anyway, she didn't really have to force me to play or anything. I loved the sound. But when we moved from Chicago to the *shudder* suburbs, I had to stop playing since there weren't any good teachers around (I was seven by then). This is the part of the title that said "then ended" and I bet all of you are anxious to hear how I got started up again, but the slavedriver says I can't and should just skip to who I is as a (yes, I know I used "is." That's the point) musician. I am a somewhat shrewd musician. As picky about a note as a gardener is about what flowers and such are in their garden. I would just as quickly say "that A is a bit flat" over and over again as a gardener would say "those aren't gladiolas, those are gardenias! dammit, get it right!" It was in middle school that I began playing again. There was a little program at my school called select strings, and only a few people could get in there. I made up my mind *with passion* that I was going to get in there. I practiced and got in. Woohoo. Then shortly after that, upon my 8th grade graduation, I recieved the director's award: the highest award any middle school musician can earn. Boom. Then high school. This is where the real magic happened. It started with the Youth Symphony of DuPage, then that led to Interlochen for two summers, then two years with the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra, which, if any of you know, is the #3 youth symphony in America. This was what firmly made up my mind of what I wanted to do with my life, and retained my pickiness thusly. So, after all my preparation with that wonderful orchestra, I ended up here at DePauw (that's not to say that I'm regretful for not going to Oberlin or Northwestern, mind you) and I retain my critical musical ways, making sure that A isn't flat, or making sure that the articulation is just so.

3 Comments:

At 8/26/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger natalie said...

Passion seems to be a common theme among all of us. :) Isn't it amazing when you are in the theatre and you can just feel how amazing the music is? I agree with you that it can be life altering. Props to having the passion to follow your heart and your passion.

 
At 8/27/2006 7:09 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

i know i chose depauw over all of the other schools including northwestern because even though i knew what my passion was i didn't want to narrow it down yet. The other schools would have made me pick between theatre and music, or voice and other instruments. However, here, I can develope as a musician and decide what I want to do with my life once I'm truly good haha

 
At 8/28/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

I could hear your voice as a read this.

Actually, I've been able to hear everyone's voices...bizarre, eh?

Anyway,pickiness seems to be a theme for you. Keep that up, it'll get you places!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home