Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Week 1: I don't know what to call this. PASSION!!!!

My debut as a musician was all the way back in second grade when I sang "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow", from the musical Annie, in the Madison Elementary School Talent Show. Now, to begin with I was always a performer. I was born to be in a theatre. My mother is a dancer and my father was a techie. In all honesty there was really no way to avoid my fate of being in the fine arts. However, I did choose to fish around for awhile to find my own "nook".
I really started to "study music" in fourth grade when I began to play the cello. This was also following a family trend because both my cousin and uncle played cello. I think it was shortly before this that I had my one year of piano as well. I loved cello. I did ISSMA and played all the time, using every opportunity I was given. i finally got my own instruement in seventh grade and shortly after began private lessons. Now, one of the things that needs to be said about me as a young musician was that I hated practicing. This is probably why I quit piano so quickly. Anyways, everything changed when I hit high school.
In high school I continued to play in orchestra through sophomore year. i took private lessons until the beginning of my senior year. But in high school was where I found my true passion, singing. My freshman year was probably like most people's freshman year, it was a year of experimentation. I wanted to try everything, do every activity possible. But poor little Natalie was a little too scared to do everything she wanted to. I wanted desperately to be in the musical that year, they were doing Mame, but I didn't audition. Instead, I played in the pit so I could still be part of the experience. Shortly after the musical started the choir director found out that I had wanted to audition, but didn't. He asked me to sing for him and the next thing I knew I was suddenly singing with the top choir at ISSMA. The next year I found room in my schedule to actually take the choir class. I began to work as hard as I could on my own and felt that I was making good progress on my own. My junior year I didn't have room to take any music classes at all. I played in orchestra one day a week at zero hour and worked on my own to learn music for choir during our 20 minute homeroom session. I still did ISSMA for both cello and voice. That was the first year that I went to state competition for both. My senior year I was able to take choir again and to make my life even happier I took Cadet Teaching. As a cadet teacher I was able to study with my middle school teacher and teach intermediate orchestra. My senior year was my best musical year. I was able to sing with the Saint Mary's Women's Choir and take voice lessons for 6 months to prepare for auditions for college. I was in the musical Grease and still got to play cello with the little kids at the middle school.
Music has become my life. I love it. I live for it. It is the one thing that I can see in my life making me happy forever. I enjoy being around people who love music, because there is an understanding of a common interest and passion. I am here in music school because I love music. I am not prepared. I have never had a theory class. I have never studied with a private vocal instructor for an extended period of time, but I love music. I love the feeling and the rush that I get when I am singing. I live for that feeling.

6 Comments:

At 8/26/2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Tommy Good said...

Very cool story. I didn't like to practice either... and as for "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow"... awesome song.

 
At 8/27/2006 12:08 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I can't imagine not having room for music in my schedule. I would have thrown a fit.

 
At 8/27/2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

ISSMA is a music organization in Indiana that holds contests and such. I think it's just an Indiana thing, but there are probably similar things to it in other states.

 
At 8/27/2006 11:32 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

yea, what on earth is ISSMA?

thats so awesome to be proficient at singing and cello. I'm just a drummer =/

 
At 8/27/2006 11:53 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

I love how you make it clear that you do music just because you LOVE it.

No worries about your preparedness and lack of theory training. That is why we are all here!

If you got this far with so little vocal training, think of how far you can get now, where studying music is your job for 4 years.

 
At 8/28/2006 12:08 AM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

good. title.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home