Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Live music...

Live music can change your view of a band/person/whoever is playing/singing. I have more experience with hearing live rock concerts, so I will mainly focus on rock. Today, we are so used to hearing our favorite music recorded, and used to hearing it the same exact way over and over again, as many times as we want. It's always interesting to hear a band live for the first time after hearing them so much on cd. In my experience, for the most part, rock bands do a fairly decent job of sonding like their recordings, but their are always a few that sound better live, such as Emery and MuteMath, and definately a few that do not sound anything like their recordings, but not in a good way, such as Audio Adrenaline or Copeland. There are also the bands that don't even play the kind of music I like, but put on a great, energetic show, such as Showbread or Squad Five-O. I mentioned in an ealier blog about my brother and I having a discussion about what we value in music, and what we like to listen to. I said that as long as the band has a great recording out, I love to listen to that recording, no matter how crappy the musicians really are. I like to listen to the music that has been created because it makes me feel good, or puts me in the right mood. Of course, it's always a bummer when I see that band live and they really just suck. It is always good for a band to sound good live though, because they will get much more support, and if someone hears them for the first time at a live concert, they will not even consider ever listening to them. Like my brother, sometimes people will not listen to any music unless the musicians are really talented and sound as good, if not better, live as on the recording. As a musician, I do appreciate very talented musicians, and will listen to them even though I might not necessarily like their music. Live music can be a tricky thing sometimes, and with some bands, you have to wonder how the heck they ever made it with such a crappy live performance.

4 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I always get really mad when a performer is horrible live. It makes mewonder how they got signed in the first place.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:05 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

When I went to see Linkin Park live in concert, I was so pissed off when I heard it, since it just sucked. Their recordings were great, and I was expecting something great. What a waste of money.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I totally agree with the idea of listening to a band or singer for the mood they put you in, even if they are horrible.

 
At 10/08/2006 10:37 PM, Blogger natalie said...

i think I can just put ditto for the above comments. When music sucks live it sucks to have to sit through it especially if you were expecting something better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home