Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Playing without Pain: Strategies for the Developing Instrumentalist"

This articles deals with the realization that not just elder musicians end up with injuries, but that younger musicians are just as susceptible. It states that there are three important factors, proper diagnosis, treatment and prevention. The six focuses that the article looks at are causes, types of difficulties, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prevention. The causes of must young musicians injuries are overuse, misuse, and hypermobility. Of course the primary symptom is pain, and the next step is acknowledging that pain means there is something wrong. One suggestion was to take your musical instrument with you when you go to the doctor to be diagnosed. The primary treatment for any injury is rest. The article is mostly informative because in order to prevent the injuries students must know ways in which to do so.



"Playing without Pain: Strategies ofr the Developing Instrumentalist"
By William J. Dawson
Music Educators Journal-November 2006
pg. 36-41

3 Comments:

At 11/19/2006 5:55 PM, Blogger Tommy Good said...

sounds like an interesting article. I agree with mo on the last sentence. I would look pretty funny walking into the doc's office with my instrument...

 
At 11/19/2006 6:06 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I liked your approach. You gave a good outline of the article, but it wasn't boring. I think you could end the paragraph with less details, so that it wouldn't seem like a "review." Good job!

 
At 11/19/2006 9:50 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hmm. I should probably read this. I have a jaw problem that I think I got from my clarinet and cello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home