Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Anna Nalick, Wreck of The Day, Re-release

So, I sat pondering in what way I was going to approach this CD review. I first thought that I wanted to do a true CD review I needed to pick a CD or a group that I had not heard before. I then realized that I would not be able to write a good review about a group that I did not know enough about to make an educated judgment of, yes, it would have been unbiased, but it would have been bad. My next step in the deduction process was that I would pick a CD from a group I liked but use an album that I had not yet listened to. I started to do that and then realized that I did not have the patience to listen to a completely new CD. So, I finally made a decision, I chose an artist I liked, even though I would probably write with a bias, and I chose an album that I had listened to some of but not all.
After that long, unnecessary introduction I can finally tell you the long awaited CD choice. Anna Nalick’s Wreck of The Day Re-release. I will have to say that her voice and style goes along with quite a few of my other favorite singers, or at least singers that I have enjoyed in the past including Norah Jones and Corinne Bailey Rae. Now, I must say that if you do not agree with the other two artists that I compared Anna Nalick to, please, do not throw away the album before even looking at it. Although the album is named Wreck of The Day, the most often heard song from the album is Breathe (2 a.m.). Again, I must tell you, do not judge a book by its cover, or in this case an album by its most popular song. Yes, Anna does have her own style that you will find in most every song, but every song is not exactly like Breathe, which is the case in some albums.
Her voice is not as airy as some female singers and also is a nice change from the high soprano sound that can be found in many other singers. I will have to admit that I hold a personal bias for artists who use piano in their music but Anna’s sound is a good mix with her piano and guitar. As I continued listening to the CD I will have to admit that the second half has a much slower and more depressing feel than the first half. Now, in some people’s opinion this is the way a CD should be, it should begin with a more upbeat feel and then conclude on a slower more relaxed note. On the other hand, if a person was to buy this CD because they liked either the most popular song Breathe, or because of the title track the end may disappoint them. Overall, this is one of my favorite artists, all though it may not be my favorite CD.

2 Comments:

At 9/03/2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Tommy Good said...

Piano and guitar make any cd better. I'm not sexist, but the only female vocalist I enjoy to listen to is Imogen Heap. She rocks. But I will definately have to check out Anna to hear her style. super spiff sista.

 
At 9/03/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I love that you love Anna Nalick. I think she has an amazing talent and I don't think I've actually found anyone else before that's appreciated her let alone owned her CD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home