Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Musical Debate

When I thought about what I was going to write for this week, my plan was to go off on this big ordeal about how you can't really debate about music. But then I realized I would be a hypocrite because I have debated about music many times.
While reading the previous posts I saw that many people decided to go at this from a subjunctive point of view, how they would debate about music. But I thought of it as more of an experience, how I have debated about music.
I know that this is completely a matter of my own opinion, but when arguing with someone about which band is better, I usually start off with the fact that, assuming the song is in English, I think it is best that the lyrics can be understood, and do not just come off as a bunch of mumble jumble screaming. I also like to bring up the question of if I can enjoy the music, or if it gives me a headache. I then continue on with points like these, obviously only expressing my opinion, but I feel that this is really the only true way you can debate music. I don't feel you can use research when it comes down to the question of which is better, because nowhere in the encyclopedia does it say that Backstreet Boys are better than *NSYNC. Sure, you could always compare record sales and concert attendence, but this really only shows whose fans are more commited(or have more money). It does not prove one is better than the other.
So in essence, my view on debating about music is that you should stick with your opinion. Of course in reality no one will ever be right, but really can anyone ever be right?

1 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger natalie said...

I agree. Any debate about music is solely based on opinions. You can't force someone to like something, if you could, life would be boring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home