Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 08, 2006

My Values

When I started thinking about this post, I immediately began comparing all of the live concerts I have been to. I thought about which ones I liked and which ones I didn't, and then I asked myself something I hadn't really thought about. Why did I like some better than others?
I've been to a multitude of different kinds of concerts: St Louis Symphony, Backstreet Boys, Relient K's Panic with aK tour with MxPx, Rufio, Ok Go, and one other band whose name escapes me, Chapter 6, Keane, *NSYNC, too many oldies bands to name, and Transiberian Orchestra. While all of these groups have major differences, the ones I enjoyed have many things in common.
For instance, I really enjoyed *NSYNC, Keane, Transiberian Orchestra(ok I saw them three times), and Chapter 6(and I travelled five hours just to see them the second time) because they all seemed so into their music, and you could tell they were there because they wanted to be, not just to pay their mortgage. Now I'm sure that the rest of the groups wanted to be there too, but the four I mentioned really seemed to stick out in my mind.
The one concert I really could have lived without being at was the Panic with aK tour. It was really loud and I could not understand any of the bands' lyrics, which is probably the thing I value most. In order to really get into a band and get something out of their music, unless of course they don't sing, I have to be able to understand and enjoy the lyrics. So when I get into a small nightclub turned concert venue setting and cannot understand the lyrics of the music that is blowing my eardrums out, I'm probably not going to have a good time.
I'm sure that we all have very different values in our live music. In fact, I know that there are probably at least 3 people in our group that totally disagree with the whole idea of having to understand the lyrics. But we all stick to our values, and that is what's important.

5 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 6:39 PM, Blogger Tommy Good said...

lyrics are cool... but i just like the melodies - lots of times i dont even know the lyrics, i just know their melodies.

 
At 10/08/2006 8:54 PM, Blogger Emily Rose said...

I really like how you compared all concerts as having the same effect on you. I think that is an important point to get across

 
At 10/08/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

I, too, value lyrics, but sometimes I like the music purely for the harmonic progression and the progression of some of the chords they use.

 
At 10/08/2006 10:41 PM, Blogger natalie said...

I agree with you. Passion for the music makes everything worth while.

 
At 10/09/2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Ferdinand_The_Bull_Smells_Flowers said...

I'm pretty much a virgin to concerts like the ones you've been to. I probably would have looooved NSYNC in 6th grade, and I know I would love Keane and Transiberian Orchestra.

I liked to hear how you really needed to be able to hear the lyrics at the Panik with aK tour.

For me it would be different, because I rarely notice lyrics...so as long as I can hear the music I am good.

I don't disagree with needing to undrestand lyrics---sometimes I wish I did have that need, because many people seem to have such a connection through those lyrics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home