Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, September 10, 2006

My debating history for all to see

Q: How do I debate about music?
A: The only way I can talk about how I debate about music is to discuss how I have debated about music in the past. I hate contraversy and hate debating, so I can only remember two instances where I have debated about music, besides 2 weeks ago about EMI.
The first musical debate I remember having was with a few kids on my bus who said rap was the best kind of music ever. I know that whatever someone likes is their own choice, and in this case, thier own fault, and that in someones opinion rap can be the best THING ever. What we debated about that day was whether or not rap was music. The term "rap music" is the biggest oxymoron ever. I told them what I thought about it, and that just because you're talking in a rhythm doesn't mean it's music. I don't remember what they said, or if they said anything at all - it was a long time ago. All I know is I'm right.
The other debate I had was with my older brother AJ. We were listening to Coldplay in my car this summer, and he asked me why I listened to that crap. He listens only to jazz and jazz legends. His point was that - why would i listen to this stuff that has been modified and computerized over actually raw talented musicians. I went on to say that I do respect and enjoy listening to raw talent, but i also enjoy listening to other music that makes me feel good. I said as long as music gets me in the mood I want to be in, and It makes me feel good and sing along, I couldn't care less how computerized or edited it is. He went on to say that he can't enjoy it if it isn't raw talent. We both acknowledged eachother's opinions, and we both have our own views on music and we respected that.
So, that answers the question of how I debate music, because you have the two instances when I have debated music. And that's how I do it.

3 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 10:15 PM, Blogger natalie said...

First of all, I have to tell you I completely agree. I hate confrontation! I think you had a mature way of discussing the music with your brother. You both could admit that the other had a right to his opinion.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

atleast your brother knows about music. i hate talking to someone that has some idea already syuck in their head, and they don't the first thing about music. then its just like talking to a wall.

 
At 9/10/2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

"Rap is crap." Very nicely put. Coldplay is not crap, simply it just depends on the person's taste, but rap still is not music. Fo rizzle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home