Da Musically Inclined Bomb

DePauw University's First Year Seminar on Writing about Music

Sunday, October 29, 2006

I know as much as some of us might not want to admit it, most of us were forced into this wonderful world of music, whether it was taking Suzuki violin, private lessons, or just starting off through the school - not many kids wanted to be known as the "band geek". I grew up in a very non-musical family. My father was the jock/prep in high school/college, and my mom was the farm girl that didn’t go to college. They both were very regretful that they had never picked up an instrument, and more or less forced piano lessons on all three of their sons.
I always hated practicing, and would always argue with my mom about it. All I wanted to do was go outside and play! My mom kept me going though - a half hour per day before I could have any "fun time". Eventually, I got into fifth grade and had to choose a band instrument. I chose to play the bass line on the keyboard, because I didn’t want to pick up another instrument, and that would just mean I would have to practice more. I was a pretty decent pianist for my age, and when my parents saw the first school concert it sickened them that I was wasting years of practice playing simple bass lines with one hand picking my nose.
One day, when I was 12, I came home and there was an upright bass in the middle of the floor.

My mom said that it was my new band instrument. This thing was so big! And it looked so cool! Who wouldn’t want to play it? I started going through books and got a private teacher eventually. After a year or two, my mom finally allowed me to buy an electric bass, which in her mind was the “devil's instrument”. I started getting into a few rock bands and that, but still definitely did not give up the upright.

I finally quit piano lessons sophomore year. I took a few years of orchestra, and then junior year joined a college jazz band, which I enjoyed much more than orchestra. I have been in six or seven different jazz groups and have played gigs anywhere from Farmer Joe’s market to riverboats and business meetings in The Windy City. I have been to All-State both for Orchestra and Jazz. I have won the Illinois State Fair Talent Competition and the "Best Teen Performer in Springfield" this past year, and played a solo electric bass rendition of "Pomp and Circumstance" at my high school graduation. I played tuba in my high school marching band, and play acoustic guitar and sing for church services now and then.

When I say I was forced into music, it may seem somewhat silly and unbelievable, but until that bass showed up in my living room, I really had no passion for music. Don’t misinterpret me though, I do really enjoy playing music now, and am always up for learning new music, instruments, ideas, and anything music.



My mom always said I would thank her someday. I hate to say she’s right.

my first blog -
http://musicalbomb.blogspot.com/2006/08/forced-into-music-tommy_25.html

3 Comments:

At 10/29/2006 6:41 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

your last line is so cheesy.

it rocks.

 
At 10/29/2006 10:06 PM, Blogger Mistuh Bond said...

Heh, i like that first picture of you in the suit with that bass, and i still like your last line in a way. way to go with the addition of pictures.

 
At 10/30/2006 8:12 AM, Blogger natalie said...

All I can say is that everytime I have seen that picture of you when you were little I smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home